Pondering the Afterlife

May 6, 2005 by Isaac Hovet

1. Do you believe in Hell?  Why?  Why not?
  2. If you do believe in Hell, than who goes?
  3. Is there such a thing as Heaven?  What do you think it will be like?  What is that based upon?
  4. If you don’t believe in Hell or Hell, than what about afterlife?  What happens?  Does everyone go to the same place?  Do we go anywhere?
Advertisements

8 thoughts on “Pondering the Afterlife

1. Anonymous says:

I believe in heaven and hell, but I don’t know how the whole process goes. I don’t know how old a child needs to be to make the decision her/himself, or what happens to people who have never heard about Jesus (Some people think that after you die you still get one more chance whether or not to choose God) or what the whole rapture is going to look like…if the Bible is parably speaking or literally, or whether those who go to hell spend eternity there or if they just die there…

2. Well let me say this: the US today, and many of its policies, feels like hell to me!

But on a serious note, no I do not believe in hell or heaven, but do believe in God, and respect others’s relgions and beliefs if different from my own.

3. Bridger says:

Barbara:

Thank you for responding. Sounds like you don’t believe in an afterlife. I respect that, but you didn’t answer the other half of the question. Why or why not?

I don’t expect to read a complete thesis, but if you had to sum it up in a paragraph, what would you say?

By the way, I agree with your thoughts on US policy

Yech.

4. Whit says:

Yes, I believe in Hell. And I believe that it is eternal separation from God. (source – the Gospel makes many references to it)

Who goes? Those folks who don’t accept the eternal gift of life that God gave through Jesus. (John 3:16)

There is a Heaven, and I think the word pictures that are provided in scripture don’t begin to explain how amazing it will be. Our minds can’t begin to comprehend the paradise that God has created.

I am curious to hear your answers to your own questions…will watch for them.

5. Whit says:

Do you mind if I link your blog to mine? I have enjoyed reading through your past posts…

6. Bridger says:

Whit:

I am honored that you would link me.

And I will be getting back with some answers or at least ponderings about these questions

7. GodlessMom says:

I don’t believe in an afterlife nor do I believe in a God. I will freely admit to not having enough information available to me to form an absolute opinion one way or another but I’ve seen no evidence that would convince me that the various religions of our species have the answers to these unanswerable questions.

That being said, I believe that when I die my body will become part of this planet that has given me so much. The energy that makes me an individual (soul or spirit if you will) will dissipate into the atmosphere and I will live on in the memories of my family and friends.

THIS is my heaven, it is all I have and I am continually astounded by the beauty of it all.

8. bob hyatt says:

I believe in hell… but I wish it weren’t so.